This summer we are excited to be focusing on nourishment for skin health. Our skin is our largest organ and plays a major role in immunity - so keeping skin strong, supple, and healthy is a top priority (1). We all know it is important to wear sunscreen. The sun's powerful rays can cause oxidative stress and long-term damage (1). But, did you know that there are foods that directly support skin health?
Why we LOVE Grapefruit, Avocado, & Kale Salad for skin health:
This vibrant salad is both delicious and super supportive for glowing healthy skin!
Tart and refreshing grapefruit is a great source of vitamin C which is essential for helping the body create collagen. Collagen is a critical protein needed for soft and strong skin and also reduces signs of aging (1). Creamy avocado is loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fats as well as vitamins and minerals including skin-focused vitamin E. Vitamin E protects the skin by acting as a free-radical scavenger countering the sun's effects (3). In addition, vitamin C and vitamin E, both of which are antioxidants, have a synergistic effect so making sure we get adequate amounts of both regularly really boosts skin health (5,6). Grapefruit, avocado, and kale salad also provides a full serving of nutrient-dense kale, inflammation-fighting omega-3 rich hemp seeds, and tons of fiber to help balance blood sugars. This powerhouse dish shines on its own or with grilled fish or chicken breast. Every bite will nourish you inside and out!
Grapefruit, Avocado, & Kale Salad
Servings: 2 servings
2-4 TBSP hemp seeds
2 cups washed and chopped kale
1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
Squeeze of lemon juice
1. Toast hemp seeds on the stove, medium heat, until lightly toasted. Do not walk away - this will happen very quickly. Set hemp seeds aside to cool.
2. Select pre-washed kale or wash and dry kale well. If needed, chop kale. In a large bowl, add approximately 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt and massage kale for approximately 1-2 minutes to help soften the leaves. Some people like to add a drizzle of olive oil to assist in this process. Set kale aside to marinate.
3. This Martha Stewart Mustard Vinaigrette has no sweetener added and is a perfect pairing for this refreshing salad. Try mixing the ingredients in a mason jar. Set aside and shake well before service.
4. With a sharp knife, slowly segment wedges of washed grapefruit removing the peel and white pith from the fruity center and cut to preferred size. Some people like whole wedges while others prefer dicing grapefruit into small pieces. Set aside to combine with other ingredients before service.
5. Wash and cut avocado into chunks or slices. Squeeze lemon juice on top to prevent browning and set aside.
6. Shortly before service, add the grapefruit segments and avocado pieces to the kale bowl. Lightly cover with dressing and gently combine all the ingredients together. Top with toasted hemp seeds & enjoy!
1. 6 Best Foods for Skin Health
2. Avocado Nutrition Facts
3. Vitamin E in Dermatology
4. Perfect Mustard Vinaigrette
5. Synergistic antioxidant effect of vitamins E and C on low density lipoproteins from smoker and non-smoker subjects
6. The Role of Phytonutrients in Skin Health
7. The Relationship of diet and acne.
7/26/2021 12:51:17 pm
Beautiful recipe! Can’t wait to try it 💕
7/26/2021 01:04:41 pm
Ooooh so good!! Send me photos!
Leave a Reply.
Check out my blog for day to day useful self and and family nourishment and wellness guidance.